2.14.2012

TINIMBANG KA NGUNIT FULHAM


Several years ago, the Sports Guy came up with an elaborate process for choosing an English Premier League Team. Having been in the UK for close to three years now, I decided it was high time I too made a decision on what EPL club to support. My own selection system, however, was far simpler and shallower:

1) It has to be a London-based team, because I'm too pretty and delicate to go on crowded coach trips with other supporters/hooligans for hours just to catch a match --- this leaves Arsenal, Tottenham, Queens Park Rangers, Chelsea and Fulham in the running.

2) Under the same reasoning, it may as well be a team right next to my West London "Cheese Whiz" neighbourhood --- that means adios Arsenal and ta-tah Tottenham, ye of North London.

3) It need not have to be a championship contender (so the fans can't be accused of frontrunning), but it shouldn't suck and be threatened with relegation either --- so can't save you, Queen's Park Rangers.


our cab driver agrees


4) Nobody likes Chelsea.


Ok then. That seems to have narrowed things down considerably. But just to seal the deal, I gotta know from the remaining candidate:

1) Does it proudly have an Azkal on its roster?


Check


2) Is the team's stadium possibly the prettiest and most picturesque in the Premiership, featuring among others: a) a riverside terrace with great after-the-match-walk-home views....


Check


....and, b) a papemelroti-esque cottage right on the field, with all the WAGs conveniently gathered on the balcony for easier papera-stalking?


Check (and thank you)


3) Finally, does it pay proper tribute to that great football icon, Michael Jackson?



Che.....wait, what?



That settles it then. Fulham FC, I choose you!




Well I'm hooked! Great atmosphere, friendly fans, good-quality football. I even like to think of myself now as a lucky charm of sorts for the team, as I happened to be recording whenever a Fulham goal-scoring chance came up


Fulham new boy Pavel makes it 1-0



Fulham stud Dempsey makes it 2-0 with a long-distance strike



Right at the end, Fulham stud Dempsey shoots at an open goal....and misses (leading to a decidedly unstudly squeal from me)



Good times, good times. And as the match ends, I get to soak in the great walk-home riverside views, the lively football fan chatter, and everything else that makes my new club great.


Such as the surprising "mamase mamasa mamakuza" football chants


No comments: